Monday, August 1, 2016

I'm Guilty and I Don't Care!



#InkRipples is a monthly meme created by Kai Strand, Mary Waibel, and Katie L. Carroll. We post on the first Monday of every month with a new topic. The brains behind this meme are all authors, but you don’t have to be to participate.

You can also spread your own ripples by blogging about the topic any day of the month that fits your schedule, just be sure to include links back to Katie, Kai, and Mary.



This month's topic is Guilty Pleasures.

I have one Guilty Pleasure that I will confess to. I love books and everything about them. So when people say, "Hey, guess what? I'm publishing a new book," I have no choice but to indulge that GP and tell everyone who will listen that there's another book for them.

So without more twiddle-twaddle on my part, here's my Featured Follower for August. Mark Noce and his debut book. Keep reading. There's a special Cover Reveal, too.



Saxon barbarians threaten to destroy medieval Wales. Lady Branwen becomes Wales' last hope to unite their divided kingdoms when her father betroths her to a powerful Welsh warlord, the Hammer King. But the fledgling alliance is fraught with enemies from within and without as Branwen becomes the target of assassination attempts and courtly intrigue. A young woman in a world of fierce warriors, she seeks to assert her own authority and preserve Wales against the barbarians. But when she falls for a young hedge knight named Artagan, her world threatens to tear itself apart.

Caught between her duty to her people and her love of a man she cannot have, Branwen must choose whether to preserve her royal marriage or to follow her heart. Somehow she must save her people and remain true to herself, before Saxon invaders and a mysterious traitor try to destroy her.


Branwen's story combines elements of mystery and romance with Noce's gift for storytelling.



I'll be posting more about Mark and his book August 15. My review for his book is coming soon.


What does Featured Follower mean?

It means that I:
  • buy, read and review the book.
  • post about the book on my blog.
  • post on facebook with a link to my review.
  • post three tweets each Wed. for the month.
  • add the cover to my Pinterest folder: Covers that Catch My Eye.


Sign up on my Email Connect (top right margin) to have a shot at being featured, receiving gifts for followers, news about my copywriting class and what I'm learning about how to sell more books. This month, Effective Book Descriptions.





Bish Denham's cover for her next story from the island paradise of St. John.

The Bowl and the Stone Cover Reveal

Book Blurb

Pirates. Explorers. And spooky ghost hunters.

It’s 1962. Sam and her best friend, Nick, have the whole island of St. John, in the U. S. Virgin Islands, as their playground. They’ve got a 240-year-old sugar plantation ruins to explore, beaches to swim, and trails to hike.

But when a man disappears like a vapor right in front of them, they must confront a scary new reality. They’re being haunted. By whom? And why? He’s even creeping into Nick’s dreams.


They need help, but the one who might be able to give it is Trumps, a reclusive hunchback who doesn’t like people, especially kids. Are Sam and Nick brave enough to face him? And if they do, will he listen to them? 


Their carefree summer games turn into eerie hauntings, and Sam and Nick learn more about themselves and life than they could ever have imagined.

Pre-order today and enter the ghostly tale as soon as it releases.




Bish Denham


About the Author

Bish Denham, whose mother’s side of the family has been in the Caribbean for over one hundred years, was raised in the U. S. Virgin Islands. She still has lots of family living there whom she visits regularly.

She says, “Growing up in the islands was like living inside a history book. Columbus named the islands, Sir Francis Drake sailed through the area, and Alexander Hamilton was raised on St. Croix. The ruins of hundreds of sugar plantations, built with the sweat and blood of slave labor, litter the islands. Then there were the pirates who plied the waters. It is within this atmosphere of wonder and mystery that I grew up. Life for me was magical, and through my writing I hope to pass on some of that magic.”

The Bowl and the Stone: A Haunting Tale from the Virgin Islands, is her third book and second novel. You can find Anansi and Company: Retold Jamaican Tales and A Lizard’s Tail, at Amazon.com.

To learn more about Bish, visit her blog, Random Thoughts
She can also be found on Facebook
Twitter @BishDenham

And Goodreads







Sign of the Green Dragon is about to poke its nose into the world. August 3!
Still time to pre-order for only .99 if you haven't already. And if you want to lend a hand with this birth, send up some smoke. I can use all the help I can get. To those who've already held up their hands, thanks so much.

I'll be at Robert Kent's super Middle Grade Ninja blog today, so stop by and read how I feel about being a hybrid author.


So there you have it. My Guilty Pleasure and a few of new books, too. Now for the Quote of the Week: "Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another." Madonna

81 comments:

  1. Why should you feel guilty about something you enjoy?
    Excellent post Lee, loved the reviews.
    Happy August.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a wonderful guilty pleasure?

      Delete
  2. That's a worthy guilty pleasure!
    Looking forward to both Mark and Bish's books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the book releases everyone and the cover reveal.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  4. No reason for guilt with that pleasure! Such a generous pleasure!

    Love the new book by Bish, can't wait to read it! Congratulations, Bish!

    I hope the tour is going gang busters! Such an excellent story!
    Happy Monday, and WEP month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right! Another exciting WEP month.

      Delete
  5. Ooo, Between Two Fires sounds like a great historical romance! Thanks for the shout-out, Lee! I hope you never, ever feel guilty about helping out fellow authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another beautiful cover, Bish. Congratulations.

      Delete
  6. That is sure a guilty pleasure that requires no guilt at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same guilty pleasure. Congrats to Bish and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are tons of us. And how great that is.

      Delete
  8. For me, books are all pleasure and absolutely no guilt! Many congratulations to Bish and Mark and of course … you! I will be visiting the Middle Grade Ninja blog as soon as I’ve left this comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I have to get over there, too!

      Delete
  9. That definitely sounds like a pleasure you don't have to be guilty about! As my guilty pleasure is seeing my books featured, I'm signing up for the chance :-)

    Congratulations to Bish and Mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited that you'll sign up! This little experiment of mine is keeping me busy, but so happy. Thanks, Annalisa.

      Delete
  10. Very cool book covers and cool book trailer! Also, I signed up, I hope you like mysteries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new books, Mark and Bish. The covers are lovely and the blurbs are enticing. Best of luck to both of you. Books are one of my guilty pleasures too, but I don't feel guilty about reading them. It's all pleasure. Sign of the Green Dragon will be visiting my blog Wednesday. It's one of those Pleasures I really enjoyed reading. Way to go, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're a book nut! And I'm so glad to have you as one of my long-time friends.

      Delete
  12. My guilty pleasure is BUYING books! If only I had a solid six months of uninterrupted time to work through all the ones on my to be read list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can appreciate you guilty pleasure. Congrats to Mark and Bish. Both books look intriguing and have great covers.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just two more to add to that list we all love.

      Delete
  14. I've become really interested in Wales as a setting for a story ever since Beta reading chapters for a friend's novel. What an awesome place to set a book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's stark. It's exciting. I think you should choose it as a setting.

      Delete
  15. books can't be a GUILTY pleasure because they ain't bad :)
    That first cover is nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to allow me some wriggle room. I"m tying in a lot of topics today. :-)

      Delete
  16. Thanks for the shout out, Lee! Much appreciated:) I gladly mentioned it on my blog today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're my Featured Follower this month!

      Delete
  17. Both Mark's and Bish's books sound amazing! I love the romantic suspense of Mark's and Bish's sounds like Goonies on steroids - awesome! Wishing them both much success! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very different books here today! That's for sure.

      Delete
  18. Great covers! And I love seeing a book set in St. John. I've been there twice and am going back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't think you should feel guilty about loving books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really. Just a way to be clever about #InkRipples.

      Delete
  20. I do love all things book! That's great you share books other people have written!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be pretty dull if I only shared what I've written, so this spices up my blog a bit! Such a variety.

      Delete
  21. My new guilty pleasure is STRANGER THINGS on Netflix which I will probably re-watch shamelessly. It has a bit of your SIGN OF THE GREEN DRAGON to it. Highest of sales there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats to Mark on being your August Featured Follower!

    And congrats to Bish on her cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrys. You were a great Featured Follower in July.

      Delete
  23. I agree, books should be all pleasure, no guilt at all. :-) My guilty pleasure is 1 line wednesday on twitter. Eats up time when I should be working, but it's fun!

    Congrats on your new release, and Mark's and Bish's too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all must indulge our Twitter once in a while. Thanks for the visit, Laurel.

      Delete
  24. Congrats to Mark and Bish! Both books sound great. Guilty pleasure for books? I can't imagine, LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I stuff in a few extra books in the library which is now out of space. I've promised not to buy so many at a time. Sometimes I don't. But now kindle allows me a lot of latitude.

      Delete
  25. I am an unashamed bookaholic. Ok, not very ashamed. There is no room for more books in either my crowded house or head. Which won't stop me.
    Congratulations to Mark, Bish, and you. Thank you (and drat you) all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Too many book, heh? Guilty as charged here, too. But what's too many of things you adore?

      Delete
  26. Wait, books are a guilty pleasure? I thought they were, like, required for living. ;);)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can relate to your guilty pleasure. :)

    Mark's book looks and sounds very interesting. I love seeing Bish's new cover and can't wait to read the book.

    So excited for you Lee! This is going to be a fun and wild week and month. Enjoy every minute. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jess. If I don't land face first before the 3rd, I'll consider myself lucky.

      Delete
  28. Ha Ha, who doesn't share this guilty pleasure, Lee? My home is a library where books decorate the walls and i love it. Congrats to Mark, to Bish, and to yourself for the new releases which I've pre-ordered. :-)

    And thanks for signing up for WEP Gardens challenge. This is going to be a different sort of challenge judging by the comments so far...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to read the garden posts. I'm a huge fan of gardens and when I'm not up to my eyeballs in books, I'm up to my knees in dirt!

      Delete
  29. I don't know if I'd call books a guilty pleasure. A pleasure to be sure, but not something you should feel guilty about loving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just wanted to tie in a lot of themes and this was the best I could do.

      Delete
  30. These books sound good! It's the best guilty pleasure to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we share this guilt! In fact, I've seen your special conference skirt that proves it. :-)

      Delete
  31. I'm a bookaholic, too. Though I never have enough time to read, and I don't always get a chance to post reviews of every book I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your picture in the library when I pull up your site, so I'm sure you love being surrounded by books.

      Delete
  32. new to me but love the cover for Between two fires

    ReplyDelete
  33. I don't know if I've raised my hand before this, but I'd be willing to help out with your new book. Let me know what you need.

    And it's not a guilty pleasure, it's called marketing. It's what authors have to do, and if you enjoy talking about your book to other people, so much the better.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi, Lee. Just read a wonderful post Roland Yeomans put up today that has, in his most creative way, a wonderful shout out for Green Dragon that I'm going to pre-order right now. I will definitely review it!

    Bish's book sounds wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann. I appreciate that. And I'm trying to get over to Roland's site to say hello there. Busy morning.

      Delete
  35. Hi Lee. I twittered the news. But your blog still isn't updating on my blogroll. Darn. I'm switching to wordpress for the same reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ignore my comment. I got your blog updated. I don't know. LOL

      Delete
    2. Ignore my comment. I got your blog updated. I don't know. LOL

      Delete
  36. That's a wonderful service you offer and congratulations, again, to Bish. I seem to be running in to her all over the Internet today.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congrats to Bish and Mark, and I look forward to your book.

    No guilt needs to be involved with that.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hey superstar author, Lee,

    Nice mentions for Mark and Bish. All the very best with your book, Lee. Of course, your guilty pleasure is just fine with me aka "GP" aka Gary Pennick. Wow and thanks, Lee!

    Your ongoing starstuckest fan,

    Gary! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such a list of "names of plums" that I have trouble keeping up with you.

      Delete
  39. I share your guilty pleasure, and I'm starting your book this week. Can't wait!

    Both Mark and Bish's releases sound fantastic. I love exotic settings, and I'd say those qualify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are quite exotic settings! Thanks for reading Dragon.

      Delete
  40. Hi Lee - me too .. books everywhere - I do love the sound of your Green Dragon - I'm sure another success here ... and I love the idea of Bish's hunchback weaving his tale around the boys, while Mark - I wish him well for his release - and look forward to your review ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy summer for writers it seems! Mark's book set in Wales is well-written.

      Delete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.