7 Things You Can Do When You're Stuck and Can't Think of One Thing to Blog About
Sometimes you just can’t blog anymore, and yet you know it’s a good way to connect with people and to build a support network. You’re a writer and if you need anything, it’s a support network. Agents are helpful. Publishers are helpful. But a lot of getting the word out is up to you, and blogging has been one of the social medias that has been an effective tool.
Then it happens. You can’t think of one thing to blog about. Now what? Where’s the inspiration going to come from. Help!
One thing about being in the blogging world, there always seems to be help out there when you need it. I was searching for that lost inspiration when Verbosity Review came to the rescue. She actually posted 7 Ways to Keep Blogging When Inspiration Leaves You.
What? Had she read my mind? I took her post to heart and followed her advice:
- I sat down and thought about all the things that inspire me. (Yoga for one, so off I went to a Zen retreat. I'm recharged and want to share that experience.)
- I pulled out an old notebook and flipped through what I’d written—I had a blogging journal already, and that was one of her suggestions. (There's stuff in there I'd forgotten!)
- I tucked a pen and paper into my bag before I took off to shop for food, and guess what, I found something near the dairy section that I made a note of. I love Strauss Creamery milk. It comes in a bottle. A real glass bottle. I remembered my grandmother telling about the old days when glass containers were all that was available. My grandmother didn’t have to think about recycling milk cartons. All she had to do was wash it out, place it a wire basket on the back step with a note to the milkman to leave another quart of milk. I wanted to tell about that in a future post.
- I went to bed that night and did a brainstorming session, scribbling whatever popped into my head. (There was more in there than I'd imagined.)
- I took a short break from blogging. I don't have to blog each Monday or each day. I can not blog and be just fine.
- I decided to post something different. Good suggestion. Posting the same thing all the time leads to tedium.
Hers was a guest post! Absolutely a perfect way to find the inspiration I'd lost.
Quote of the Week: "Creativity is just connecting things." Steve Jobs
Have you ever just run dry of what to write or blog about? Do you have little tricks that set you free again and stir the creative juices?