Tuesday, April 12, 2016

#atozchallenge: J is for Jugo



Here's to a great AtoZ!

Join in the 
FUN.



This year I traveled to Cuba. You know, it's that little island that's spitting distance from Florida and should not be visited without special dispensation. I wanted to see it before MacDonald's arrived. I'm so glad I did. I learned a lot and I met some wonderful people. It seems they like us. Now there's a change!

I'll add a short T/F quiz to each post the same as I did last year about Burma, and I'll post the answers to the questions the following day. 






Answer (only one question this time) to your T/F Quiz for I

TRUE: Cuba's considered part of North America because of where it's situated geographically, but Latin American when it come to culture. We're so close geographically, but this is a Latin country from top to bottom. They speak Spanish. Their food has a very Latin flair and their music is all about guitars and rhythm Latin style.




J is for Jugo


A sugarcane smasher. This juice is called Guarapo
Jugo fantastico inside a Cuban orange
One thing about Cuba is you need lots to drink--cold, fresh, and definitely involving RUM and often smashed cane sugar. So Jugo was the drink of the day. Jugo means juice in Spanish, but the juice was as varied as any Costco shelf in the U.S. I can't remember the names of all of the local drinks, but I do remember how they tasted. Good.






Your T/F Quiz for J:

1. The U.S. imports tons of Cuban sugar each year.
2. Rum is made from rum berries grown in the Caribbean. 

Answers tomorrow.



33 comments:

  1. Sounds like the drinks are delicious. I would image the smashed cane sugar would give them a distinct flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, plenty of juice as long as it's spiked with rum? I do like the presentation.
    And I thought rum was made from molasses?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of rum berries but they sound good, because then you could have a rum smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would fall in love with the culture, music, and people if I went there.
    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds delicious and fresh. Looks cool served in the fruit too :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could do with a Jugo (with lots of rum) right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice. I bet you made many a discover on the island. :-)

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never knew it was considered part of NA. Learn something new every day. Good there is enough drinks to go around

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not much of a drinker, but I'd be willing to sample this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could use me some jugo about now... I'm saying false to both questions. Hasn't there's been a trade embargo on Cuba for a while? We can't get cigars, why/how would we get sugar? As for rum, since it's also made in the Virgin Islands, I know what it's made of and it ain't berries!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You made me thirsty! ;)

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going out on a limb, number 1 is false and number 2 is true

    ReplyDelete
  13. Smashed cane sugar makes everything taste better, I think! Is that a real orange in which they've somehow poured juice? That's so cool!

    Cheers!
    Modern Gypsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really have no idea to the answers to these two questions, but I am very happy about the answer from yesterday's question. I got it right and I am smiling.

    Shalom,
    Patricia @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want a mojito! I've also been wanting one of those cane sugar drinks like I saw being sold in Ecuador. We never got one, but I've been wanting one ever since.

    Arlee Bird
    A to Z Challenge Co-host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeah, I'm just ready for a jugo right now! Nice post, Lee :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could use a good cool drink right now. :)
    I thought we'd stopped importing from Cuba, but then again, I'm usually wrong. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Both are wrong, but the importing of sugar may have begun again after a long break. Rum is made from sugar cane/molasses, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That juice sounds really good. That's so cool you visited Cuba.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a great way to stay hydrated!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think they are both false. I think rum comes from sugar cane but I'm not sure.

    Susan Says

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yum! I do love fruit, and fruit juice as well. Especially the fresh kind :)

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm guessing number two is false.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's fun hearing more about your trip. Nice too, to learn more about this fascinating place. Enjoy the rest of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The local food and drinks are often the best part of any kind of travel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These posts are so interesting. I almost feel like I'm in Cuba, seeing and tasting what you're telling us about.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very interesting blog. Can you just go there to visit now?

    Calen~
    Impromptu Promptlings

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very cool. I grew my own sugar cane last year and got to juice it at a friend's house who had a sugar cane juice grinder or masher or guarapo. I wanted to blog about it, but it's on the "to do list." How interesting to know they make sugar cane juice in Cuba too! It's popular in Hawaii, at least in organic juice shops and farmers markets. Maui Jungalow

    ReplyDelete
  29. Excellent post Lee, I have tried to answer the questions daily but to no avail. What a wonderful trup to Cuba you must have had.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooo, party. Cuban music and drinks that sounds like fun.
    Juneta @ Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those drinks do sound good. I will say false to both and check out the answers since I fell behind

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.