Alligators Overhead Trailer

Friday, October 17, 2014

How To Write Your Best Loglines & Celebrate Those Small Things

Last week I posted one way to start crafting our LOGLINES. Well, there's more. Isn't that always the case? Just when you think, "Ah ha! I've got it, by golly," some smarty says, "But. . ." And you know you're in for more to deal with.

One thing you don't want is a blah protagonist. No. Those MC's have to take the bits in their teeth and run.  If you recall, I left my three fascinating MC's here. (Well, one of these *characters isn't mine, but he was so great, I wanted to create a logline in his honor.)

Here's my next step in making my MC's more proactive and my story more exciting. I've underlined the parts I've worked on.

My Talented Zombie

  • A talented zombie must elude his sister, a zealous zombie hunter, so he can perform Hamlet before she destroys him.
  • A talented zombie sets a trap to capture his sister, a zealous zombie hunter, so he can perform Hamlet before she destroys him.

  • A *heroic lizard must escape life threatening enemies to save his community from a Cat.
  • A *heroic lizard outwits life threatening enemies to save his community from a Cat.

  • A clairvoyant gas station attendant must track down his killer to prevent his own murder. 
  • A clairvoyant gas station attendant sets up a sting to capture his killer and prevent his own murder. 
There's nothing I like better than the ticking clock plot, and if you can get that into your logline, all the better. I'll put the ticking clock element in red.

  • A talented zombie sets a trap to capture his sister, a zealous zombie hunter out to destroy him before opening night.
  • A *heroic lizard outwits life threatening enemies to save his community before a Cat attacks.
  • A clairvoyant gas station attendant has one week to set up a sting and capture the man hired to kill him
So there's more to consider. My loglines shift as write or I shift my writing to stay consistent with my logline. It all depends on what the characters tell me to do and if I can get the plot to cooperate. Piece of cake, right?

What I'm Celebrating This Week

VIKLIT




Halloween is big on Small Things List.

I get to go to party and be crazy with other people who will dress in weird costumes and pretend to be scary. That's something to celebrate.

This wonderful month when the light shifts and you know fall is in full control for a time.







Hat's Off Corner



Sin City Collectors Kristen Painter likes to balance her obsessions with shoes and cats by making the lives of her characters miserable and surprising her readers with interesting twists. She currently writes award-winning urban fantasy for Orbit Books. The former college English teacher can often be found on twitter @Kristen_Painter, Facebook at www.facebook.com/KristenPainterAuthor where she loves to interact with readers and her blog: http://kristenpainter.com/blog/

32 comments:

  1. You need to post a photo of your costume then.
    So many different ways to do a logline. You could have a lot of fun playing with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping my narwhale get up would be enough. :-)

      Delete
  2. I like the "ticking clock" tip. Hooray, fall is here. I love fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, in any cookbook you're always up against the ticking clock. Timing is all for those recipes.

      Delete
  3. Ooo, ticking clock. Okay, you've given me more to think about when crafting log lines. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My process is only one way, but I like to use it while I practice. And it gets my juices flowing.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I agree with Melissa. You are the logline queen. I have a logline post planned for NaNo prep, but I think I might just post links to your posts because they are awesome!
    I'm working a "ticking clock" into my current WIP and into the logline for the next one because without that I seem to meander.

    Lovely celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love ticking clock plots too. Sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great log line post! You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Log lines are the bane of my existence. Yours, however, are stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That zombie looks a little like the actor Hugh Laurie....I suck at blurbs and log lines... I love Halloween because it's fun for children and adults. Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love log lines. And that's very true about the ticking clock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm saving these for when I write my log lines. Yours are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving the "must" in the loglines. And I recognize Bish's great new story! The ticking clock is a great addition to any logline. So many things to remember... Say hi to your clever zombie for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the side by side comparisons. That is very helpful. This is a skill I need all the help with I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah, I love this ticking clock one!!!!! You rock! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ever since you started mentioning the logline advice, I've been mulling over one for an MG story I've got ready to share if I can kidnap - erm - snag the right editor to pick it up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My stories always involve real people, and I've never thought about how it would be to write with zombies as main characters. Thinking of motivations and such would certainly be interesting in that case!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovin' the luscious logline lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now that I've stopped laughing, I need to wipe my eyes. I'm saving all the logline coaching. 1. It's good, 2. it'll be useful, and 3. It's funny as all getoutl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, that party sounds like heaps of fun. Hope you have a fantastic time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheryl! Wow, you're good at these loglines. Wouldn't want to write mine, eh??? LOL. Honestly, you should hire yourself out and make mega bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some more great advice and so deftly written to click it into my head. I must see your costume:) I believe I will go a Goo from Gumby:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am just getting to the point when I am beginning to think of loglines and querys and all that jazz. This was very interesting... and timely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Halloween is definitely something to celebrate! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to see this talented zombie perform Hamlet!!!
    (Although the bit about whether or not to kill himself loses a bit of significance when he's already dead.) Ooh, this reminds me there's a new Walking Dead episode tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your logline examples have great hooks for readers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is nice to read a hook! It makes me want to know more, keep reading, etc.
    LOVE halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this post! I'm bookmarking it. :D

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.