|If only it were easy to WhiteOut our mistakes.|
I waited way too long to start thinking about publicity.
I thought my publisher would do it all. Please don't laugh. I was a mere child when I began.
I said, "If I can write a book, surely I can promote all by myself."
I thought my book was good enough I didn't need to worry about promoting it. (This isn't exactly what I thought, but close.)
I thought that the media would pick up my Tweets and my Blog Posts and my FB Post in no time flat.
I thought that if I did a few Tweets, a few Blog Posts, a few FB Posts, I could kick back and have a nap.
I thought once I had a publisher, I didn't have to think about finding another one.
Now that I'm a seasoned soldier in the book publishing business I can admit to all these mistakes and more. So what to do to avoid these?
7 to 12 months before launch
- start lining up your reviewers.
- make a list of book fairs or events that are scheduled around your launch target.
- make a list of things you can count on your publisher to do for you and fill in the gaps yourself or hire a publicist.
- make sure your website is up to date.
6 months before launch
- send announcements to newspapers, trade magazines, especially those with “up-coming publications” columns.
- write press release, so you'll have it to send with your ARCs or galleys.
- troll for blurbs
- have a professional author photo taken
- set up Google Alerts for both your author name and your book title
5 months before launch
- update your business cards
- order bookmarks etc.
- lay out a book tour for yourself. This can be in addition to what your publisher has done, or just what you want to do.
3-4 months before launch
- have book trailer made.
- write letters pitching your book to media.
- check with local bookstores to see if they will carry your book.
- create launch materials: interviews, giveaway ideas, activities for blogs.
2 months before launch
- schedule your launch appearances: virtual or in person, using your launch materials.
- memorize your tagline or pitch, so you can say it any time, anywhere.
- recheck website and add your buylinks.
Just before the big DAY
- confirm everything with everyone.
- schedule Tweets with buylinks for AM and PM daily.
After the big DAY: do not stop promoting.
This isn't a complete list of things to do, so I hope you'll add to it. I've gleaned these steps from other bloggers, my experience and reading what publicists have to say.
Here's a writer who know all of this stuff. Be sure to take advantage of this last day of his offer. CassaFire is 99 cents at AMAZON and his publisher’s site.
|ALEX CAVANAUGH'S BLOG|