She writes, "I don’t ask these questions right from the start. At first, I give myself a chance to experiment, to take risks, to give my attachment to the work a chance to grow. But after a while, I ask myself:
- Am I behind this work 100%? Do I love it to pieces?
- When I imagine it published, do I feel peacock-proud, or kind of nervous?
- Can I see myself traveling around the country, reading from a podium?
- Have I sought out readers who really matter, experts who have the authority to judge the work and suggest improvements?
- Have I listened very carefully to what those readers have to say?"
Any other questions you could add to Ellen's list? Share 'em, please.