Monday, April 1, 2013

AtoZ Blogging Challenge or How I Spent My Spring Vacation

The brainchild of Arlee Bird, at Tossing it Out

Last week I gave everyone a hint about my THEME this year. 
Here it is:

I'm long and short and carry loads far bigger than most things my size.
I twist tongues, delight people who see me, and reveal so much about the inner life.
When I'm in good company I'm exciting, but when I'm not, I soon lose my sparkle.
I have a very large family and a long history.
What am I?









ANS: Words . . . and here's my first word of the month.

Avuncular


Portrait of an Old Man with a Boy, Domenico Ghirlandaio, 1490, Musee du Louvre, Paris.
This has a wonderful sound that kind of pats you on the head. That's exactly what you want the reader to feel--a pat on the head--a kindly uncle you can rely on for his understanding. 

My agent excuses my writing sins with an avuncular, "Writers will be writers." Thanks agent with a heart.

Now you know where the word "uncle" comes from!

What's an A word you like to feel on your tongue and use in your prose? Oh, and if you've got a  moment this week, hope you'll click onto my link (see right margin) and enter to win a signed copy of one of my books. I'm doing some spring cleaning!


*Brought to you by:

The Madlab Post (Nicole Ayers)
Tossing It Out (Arlee Bird)
Amlokiblogs (Damyanti Biswas)
Alex J. Cavanaugh (Alex J. Cavanaugh)
Life is Good (Tina Downey)
Cruising Altitude 2.0 (DL Hammons)
Retro-Zombie (Jeremy Hawkins)
The Warrior Muse (Shannon Lawrence)
The QQQE (Matthew MacNish)
Leave it to Livia (Livia Peterson)
No Thought 2 Small (Konstanz Silverbow)
Breakthrough Blogs (Stephen Tremp)
Spunk on a Stick (L. Diane Wolfe)

We also have a Facebook page, email address 2012azinfo@gmail.comand the Twitter hashtag is #AtoZChallenge.  Join in. 

46 comments:

  1. Allrighty!
    I eventually found the comments box! There's a gazillian of names in this hop... :-) I love the work of Ghirlandaio and his Renaisance contemporaries! That knobbly nose cured my fear, as a last adolescent, that my own nose was too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then this was a perfect image for today!

      Delete
  2. My favorite A word? It starts with an A and ends with two S's, can be modified by adding other words to it,... Ok, I'll quit. :)

    Awesome!

    Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love A S S in conjunction with UR A. Great to see you here!

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to your words! (And my goodness, that's a long list of A-Zers!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome word. I'm amazed at everyone participating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! Will we make it to the end of that list?

      Delete
  5. Avuncular? Unusual word which sounds chunky and kinda clumsy... yet linked to uncle...? Very interesting...
    I like AURA and ARTISTRY... amongst others...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that's where uncle comes from. For me, for today, acceptance is the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. I've been working on that for a long time, Bish!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's the origin of uncle? I didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we don't have too many chances to use this word. That's why the A-Z is so great!

      Delete
  8. Great word! Has that same fun to say sound as "ocular." Love the long U sound. And you have an excellent theme. Look forwrad to learning more words. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pk. We have to love words, don't we? Where would authors be without them?

      Delete
  9. The word uncle comes from avuncular? Who would have guessed? That's a nice painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those Italians! They could certainly paint.

      Delete
  10. Oh man I am not good at riddles :P

    I like the word Aardvark. Did you know Arthur (the cartoon) is an aardvark? I always thought he was a weird looking mouse or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, see I learned something new. I didn't know about Arthur at all.

      Delete
  11. Oo, this is going to be a fun theme! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed doing this one. Off to check out the others!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Too simple, therefore, too hard to guess.

      Delete
  13. It does have a wonder sound! I agree with Southpaw...very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why it sounds good to me, but it does.

      Delete
  14. That's a great word and I'm always looking for new words to expand my vocabulary. I think I'll be taking notes all this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great start! I have a bit of trouble verbalizing that word, but I love to type it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great start! I love your theme, and I love that word. I need to work on expanding my vocabulary all the time so I'll be looking forward to all your posts this month.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool! I'd love to learn about interesting words and what a great start!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've always loved that word, but I don't think I've had an opportunity to use it in any manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What's an A word I'd like to feel on my tongue? *A* chocolate... ok, so that's cheating a little ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is there a word for kindly aunt? I feel there should be.

    mood
    Moody Writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I know--very little actually--Aunt comes from the 1300's Anglo-Fr. Aunte or Tante.

      Delete
  21. Hi Lee - I got to you yesterday and the Alligator ate the connection! So I stopped .. back now ..

    Love the Avuncular word ... fun description too ... Apple is a pretty good word - as the fruit is so good for us ...

    Cheers and see you at B ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking apples to the alligators, Hilary!

      Delete
  22. That's the 2nd time I've run across the word "bodacious" today, and it's barely 8 o'clock in the morning! Oh my:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That word has a ring to it, so guess that's why it's so popular this early in the morning.

      Delete
  23. Avuncular is a great word and I love that painting. I admire you for doing A to Z, as I chickened out this year due to too many irons in the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think I'm in trouble here. I'm hope to make it to H. That's today's goal.

      Delete
  24. Thank you! The riddle was driving me crazy- great one, by the way- perfect theme : ) ~ Jess

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the word bodacious! Of course, it has nothing to do with frog eaters, but it's still a cool word and a bit more useable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Bodacious - good one! Words are always interesting and couldn't hurt to add a few more to my vocabulary!

    Enjoy the challenge! I'll have to stop back and increase my vocab.

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.