Alligators Overhead Trailer

Monday, March 25, 2013

Monday Miscellany

This is really a different MishMash today. 


Anyone here recognize the name Ray Buduick? If I add a small clue (Dec. 7, 1941) does that help?
How about if I add Honolulu and pilot as keywords?

Yes. Absolutely. He's the guy who did what he always did on a Sunday. He flew his small aircraft out over the beautiful Pacific Ocean and right into a sky filled with Japanese Zeroes. I can hear him now, "Golly gee whiz!"

_______________


What about George Mason? Does that ring some bells? No?

He's the guy that wrote this: "All men are born equally free and independent, and have certain inherent natural rights, of which. . . they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity: among which are the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring the possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety." Virginia Declaration C. 1770

Familiar?


Here's Jefferson's version written a tad later.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

Granted, Jefferson's has a much better cadence, but even his "Pursuit of happiness" came from John Locke.

Plagarism? No. It wasn't that. It was synergism. Minds spinning ideas from other minds and making those ideas better.

So why this post on a blog that dedicates most of it's time to new books and writing and grammarness?

Stories are everywhere, that's why. Not only stories, but characters and moments that make for amazing scenes.  I keep stumbling on stories about lives and incidents that I crave to write about. How about you? Do you have any people or any incidents that you've tucked away, hoping to write about someday?
___________


Hope you'll check in at J. L. Campbell's for a super giveaway starting Wednesday the 27th.

This will be my last post for the week. I have to pull back and take care of some things that need attention. I'll try to come around and say hello to my readers because I enjoy seeing what they have to share.

Have a great week. See you in April and Happy Easter.







37 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. I do have incidents tucked away. Some personal and I hope to give them public life someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, stories build on stories, build on stories. There can be endless new twists and adaptions and pieces of things sewn together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those story trails. I guess that's one reason I'm fascinated by retellings of old nursery rhymes or fairy tales.

      Delete
  3. Yes, stories are everywhere. Have a good week, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your time away! Sometimes it's simply necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is nothing new under the sun. We simply tell the same story in new and different ways. And yes, there are lots of stories I'd like to write. So many I can become kind of frozen not be able to write any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee .. like Alex said "synergy" sounds good .. 'plagiarism' is bad and is a modern 'thing' when it can be straight copied via the copy button.

    Stories are everywhere aren't they .. and yes I have rather more than available to me than I care to think about ..

    Have a peaceful and happy Easter .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. Our weather is perfect for an egg hunt! Kids are getting ready.

      Delete
  8. Enjoy your week, Lee, and happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, C.Lee!

    Stories do build on stories to keep the cycle going.

    Have a happy easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic post! Hope you have a lovely Easter too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy the rest of your week off. Most of my stories stem from some real person or real incident, so this is no surprise to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems like ideas are coming out of the woodwork. Just not enough time to write them all! Enjoy your time off, Lee. Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great week, Lee. I agree that stories are everywhere. Isn't it great? And it's great to be reminded.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There was a guy who worked for the Manhattan Project who used to manipulate plutonium with a screwdriver, inching ever closer to critical mass. One day he slipped, and received a fatal radiation dose. He's always discussed as a footnote to history, but I have always wondered about his life. Frankly, I wonder about most of the pioneers in the early studies of nuclear power and radiation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now he would be on a list of people whose stories I'd love to tell.

      Delete
  15. Oh yeah, I'm always filing things away. You can talk to anyone for a while and they'll have countless stories. Just make sure to change the names! It's nice to have a bank of ideas even if most never see the light of day. And yes, good ideas have a habit of doing the rounds!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great reminder that stories are everywhere!

    Enjoy your time away from your blog and Happy Easter to you, too!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, I have stories waiting in the sidelines from genealogy research. History, like you said, is loaded with stories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the uniquely thought-provoking post and have a wonderful break - Happy Easter! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Synergism is a wonderful thing. And yes, I have several ideas tucked away, and sometimes I feel like I'm surrounded by real life heroes . . .someday I'll get their stories on paper, and not just the imaginative ones running around in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely great when you can take someone else's idea and improve upon it!
    Happy April and Easter, Lee! I cannot believe both are around the corner. March is a blur.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm afraid 2013 is going to vanish before I write the great American Novel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember learning about where Jefferson got his ideas from when I was in high school. I was, and still am, totally intrigued by it all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you get through all the stuff you need to do, Lee. Things, can and do get ever so busy for us writers. Ever wonder how come these men from so long ago came up with such profound statements? I wonder if that's because they were not in a rush like we are today so they had time to actually think.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings C. Lee,

    Yes, finally I've arrived! A much cherished comment from me, yes me, Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star! Speaking of grammar, I'm forever telling my human, Gary, to stop using the conjunction word "and" because the use of "and" invariably leads to a run-on sentence with too much information and perhaps a lack of commas. Indeed, the type of sentence that would make Stephen King proud!

    I've been thinking about writing about my human. A book that discusses how much I've tried to teach him to be a better writer.

    Enjoy a bit of a break, my friend.

    Pawsitive wishes,

    Penny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Write Game, Penny. You're pawsitively welcome.

      Delete
  25. This is such an interesting way to look at how great ideas are born. Enjoy your break, and Happy Easter!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  26. Enjoy the rest of your week off. Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ideas abound! what an interesting post, lee. :) never heard of those guys til now. Happy easter!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hope you are enjoying your break!

    Love that you can always find a new way of touching people with words even if the story is something we might all know. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some great thoughts CLee.
    I like synergism. It has a certain ring to it!
    Have a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nice trivia for the day!
    I've been seeing a lot of J.L.'s work around the blog, which is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's interesting how our perceptions of history are so often skewed by the way it's been reported. Often makes me wonder if we know the 'true' story of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hope you had a great Easter, Lee! Here's to a fabulous month of April in Blog Land!

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.