Thursday, January 3, 2013

So Do You Like Book Events? How About Super Helpful Books or Fun New Books? Her Grammarness Serves Up a Dollop of Detail

Book Events

A BOOK EVENT YOU'LL LIKE: January 4 7:30PM Kepler's in Menlo Park, CA 94025 is hosting three of my old 2009 Debs: Lauren Bjorkman, Kimberly Derting and Stacey Jay. Stop by and hear what they have to say about World Building.

YOUNG ADULT EVENT

New Year's Reads with Lauren Bjorkman, Kimberly Derting,  and Stacey Jay     

Friday January 4th,
7.30 pm

Start the New Year with some of our favorite YA reads.

miss fortune cookieThe Fortune Cookie by Lauren BjorkmanMeet Erin. Smart student, great daughter, better friend. Secretly the mastermind behind the popular advice blog Miss Fortune Cookie. Totally unaware that her carefully constructed life is about to get crazy..   

The Essence by Kimberly DertingAt the conclusion of The Pledgethe essenceCharlaina (who can understand all languages in a country where the language you speak determines your class) defeated the tyrant Sabara and took her place as Queen of Ludania. But Charlie knows that Sabara has not disappeared: The evil queen's Essence is fused to Charlie's psyche, ready to arise at the first sign of weakness.

romeo redeemedRomeo Redeemed by Stacey JayAll will be revealed for fans who have breathlessly awaited the sizzling sequel to Juliet Immortal. This time Romeo takes center stage and gets one chance, and one chance only, to redeem himself.
  
If you have a book event and what a bit of a shout out. Let me know. I can shout.
___________________________________

New Books


A SUPER HELPFUL BOOK: A few week ago--and now I totally forget how it happened--I was contacted and asked if I'd be interested in reviewing a new book about social media.
"Heck yeah," says me.
I can use all the help I can get. I didn't really expect much, but I was surprised. SOCIAL MEDIA JUST FOR WRITERS  by FRANCES CABALLO is a winner of a book. Here's my AMAZON review, but if you're still scratching your head over profile pages and fan pages and how those charts work and on and on and on, grab this book. It's a hit list of what to do for each of social media giants.


A FUN NEW BOOK: Lauren Bjorkman's MISS FORTUNE COOKIE (Holt) is out. The tag line: Fate will come looking for you. Don't bother hiding.  Sounds enticing, doesn't it?

If you have a new book coming out. I'll post about it. Just send me links, a two-three sentence tag line and a cover. I love new books and I love posting about them. If you've just read a book you couldn't put down, I'd love to hear about it.
___________________________________ 

Her Grammarness

Here's more than you ever wanted to know about the adverb ALREADY and its friend, ALL READY! But here it is anyway.  First, they're not the same words. They have two meaning and, as you can see two spellings. Unfortunately, some writers treat them as siamese twins. They're not even fraternal twins. 

ALREADY means IT--whatever IT is--is done, finished, kaput. 
In American English we often say, "I already edited that manuscript. I'm not doing it again." (I suggest writers don't say this to their editors.)

The Brits kind of keep "already" for use in the present perfect. You know those Brits! "I've already edited that manuscript, you obtuse critic, you."  

ALL READY is reserved for "Are you all ready to publish your book?" Meaning, "Are you prepared to get that @~# manuscript out of your C Drive?"  OR "I am all ready to become a New York Times Bestselling author." There's a small gap between those two sentences in terms of time, but PREPARED is the synonym for all ready in both.  BTW I just read a book that had these words ALL WRONG. Oops!

Do you have any burning questions for Her Grammarness? If I can't answer them I have an army of linguists to tap into. They love grammar, phonological and semantic questions. Makes them feel needed.

17 comments:

  1. I am so jealous (in a positive way) of books that have that wow...and Misfortune Cookie tagline has it.

    I need an online book. Heck, I need someone to hold my hand and walk me through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I lived in CA I would so be at the book event. Heading to amazon now to check out your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all ready for this new year to begin and thanks for sharing the book news! (;

    The Social Media Just for Writers books sounds like something I could definitely use right now, social media can be so overwhelming at times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome collection! I need to bookmark the Social Media book. I feel like I'm drowning out here most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Elizabeth I know. Those taglines are bears to wrestle onto the page.

    @Beth Wish you were here.

    @Elise I hear you about social media and being overwhelmed.

    @E.J. We all need a life jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lee ... the event looks fun - and I love the All Ready to go grammar lessons ...

    While the Social Media book I am serious looking at ...

    Happy New Year and lots of success ... Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I even use the word already anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am going to straight to Amazon for the Social Media book. I need to learn this so bad, er, much. Just teasing there with the "bad" language. Hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The social media book sounds interesting. I'm not at all a techy person and often feel lost in the internet world. I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find bad grammar in a published book extremely distracting. There was one book I read that had 'though' instead of 'through'. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Essence sounds right up my alley! Thanks for the highlights! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could go to that world building discussion! Wrong coast.

    I love your "Her Grammarness" segment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! A lot of awesome helpful info here. I'll definitely check out those new books you recommended :)

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This isn't the same thing, but it reminds me that something should really be said about "alright." Like, "alright" is NOT "all right"!

    And if Her Grammarness could issue an edict that the use of "of" is illegal in such expressions as "It's not that big of a deal," that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always say to my fiance- I'm ready, already!- lol. Thanks for sharing all of this great info! Happy new year : ) ~ Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great lesson! I try to teach my 5th grade students this rule! Some get it- others are still working on it.

    Miss Fortune Cookie sounds interesting!

    Also- my brother-in-law lives in Menlo Park! I will have to check out the bookstore the next time I am out visiting. :)
    ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog looks different!! Yay!!

    As for all ready... hmmm!!! LOL!! What an awkward phrase! These two words were never meant to be seen or used together in polite society! LOL! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.