Blatant Self-Promotion Alert: You may leave now or stick around to read about MY book. However, there are others mentioned in this post, so I have redeemed myself . . . slightly!
In this hop we're going from blog to blog to discover some exciting books that we might not have heard about yet or that are still in WIPs. To let us know a bit about the books we each answer 10 questions.
So here we go!
- What is the working title of your book?
Well, my title is a done deal because Alligators Overhead came out in July. I never had a "working title" because the idea of the book came from the title. Odd? Yes. But true.
|Can you see the alligator? This is only one of them in that ceiling.|
- Where did the idea come from for the book?
My knotty pine ceiling had all kinds of alligators up there staring down at me when I was a kid. I slept under the covers most of the time and when we moved I checked out the ceilings in the new house before I chose a bedroom. I didn't want any more KOTTY PINE with alligators to keep me shivering at night.
- What genre does your book fall under?
It's fiction and it's aimed at kids 8-12; however, the old characters are kind of fun in it, so just because you're past puberty don't pass it up.
- Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
Now you've got me. I do not have a clue. Maybe one my readers will come up with an idea or two.
- What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
To rescue the last member of his family and save a threatened habitat, a twelve-year-old trouble-maker struggles to control his mysterious powers and change from prankster to warlock hero.
- Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
I did this one myself. Lots of work. But I'm in control.
- How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
It seems like all of my books are one year in making. This is one I started, then stopped, then started again, so I'm estimating about a year in total.
- What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Maybe Hoot? But only because of the ecological thread. I don't think there are other similarities. Maybe readers will see them and tell me.
- Who or What inspired you to write this book?
Just that ceiling. I loved the idea and I loved the title. I just needed to find the characters and the story to fit.
- What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
Maybe the alligators? Usually cats do the job of familiars, but in my book we have alligators instead. Also the witches are not very witchy; they don't sail across the sky on brooms or anything like that.
Now I've tagged 5 other writers and they'll be posting their Q & A next Wednesday, October 3. So I hope you'll stop in and read what they have to say about their books.