Alligators Overhead Trailer

Thursday, September 22, 2011

In the Throes of Thursday-Brahms

I believe all creative people come to a point where they doubt their ability. Some come to believe they can't go forward with their art one more day. They're quitting. Yes, the big Q word.

Been there?

I certainly have.
Well here are a few of quotes that I keep on the wall by my desk.  I want to share them with those who have the Q word in their heads right now or may have in the future.

~1887, the Musical Courrier: "Brahms evidently lacks the breadth and power of invention eminently necessary for the production of truly great symphonic works."

~ Confucius: "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. "

~ Unknown: "When the world says, "Give up," Hope whispers, 'Try it one more time.'"

~Harold Gould Henderson's translation of the Master Essa's "Snail, ever so slowly . . ."
  "Snail, my little man, slowly, oh, very slowly climb up Fujisan!"

Any quotes that keep you going? Hope so. If not, take mine. I'm off to find Fujisan . . . and some fellow #writecampaign people at RACH WRITES.

15 comments:

  1. Oh, those are great quotes.
    I doubt my ability every day. And what keeps me going is the fact that I LOVE to write. I try to hang on to the enjoyment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Age wrinkles the body. Quitting wrinkles the soul." - Douglas MacArthur

    "Don't get it right. Just get it written." - James Thurber

    "Who knows where inspiration comes from. Perhaps it arises from desperation." - Amy Tan

    Great post, Lee. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I like Buddy's, too. It's amazing how encouraging quotes can keep me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quotes! I think we all doubt ourselves daily. Well, I know I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad these quotes resonated with you writerly people. And, of course, Buddy, who is a noted canine philosopher, has added to the mix of inspiration . . . beautifully. You deserve a rawhide bone, Buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the boost. I ALWAYS need more encouragement. There has to be a less exhausting career, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing! These quotes came at a perfect time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't even think of a good inspirational quote at the moment to share back! Uggh, too many strange words in today's challenge! But glad to see you are in the Campaign, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the one about hope. It certainly keeps whispering while the world shouts!

    And of course, that old chestnut: The difference between success and failure is perseverance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great! I've definitely been to that point, but I had some great support and few good quotes to help me out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You posted this quote: "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. "

    Very good.

    I also tell myself: "Baby steps" and "One day at a time". They help. Even every rejection helps.

    Thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love a pithy quote. Thanks for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are AWESOME.

    And that deer is SOOO cool :D

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.