Monday, March 15, 2010

New WIP, Last and Middle

On day 7 I wrote the last chapter of the book--actually I wrote two last chapters because I haven't decided if this will end happily or unhappily.

I also wrote a lot of single sentences from the beginning I have started that I hope are the major scenes leading to the end. From past experience I know I'll be adding and deleting scenes, but at least I have something of a path since I'm not an outliner.


1ST ARREST

JIMMY’S GONE. NOTE ON THE TABLE.

SCENE WITH FAT NYLA AT SCHOOL  

(KEEP LIZ COCHRAN OR DELETE)

AFTER SCHOOL SESSION: USE STEINBECK HERE

2ND ARREST

GLASSES AND DOUBLE NEGATIVE

3RD ARREST



On day 8 I did 1)Yoga and 2)walked in the Santa Cruz Mountains, then I went to the farmers' market for fresh veggies and came home to work in 3) my garden. In other words, I let my characters take a break from me and me from them.
                                                 1                                                           2
                                                                                 3

On day 9 and 10 I dabbled with what I'd already written. Made changes. Wrote the chapter for 1ST ARREST, and left my poor MC in a mess.


I close my eyes. I like the way sleep takes me outta here into a deep, dark place that doesn’t smell, where DD smiles down at me, where Jimmy swings me between his knees, and where Polanski hands me a cup filled with sharp pencils—World’s Greatest Kid.
Flashing lights dart through the grimy window. In my dream they’re crazy night birds shattering the cup and shooting the pencils into the air like bullets. I bolt to my feet and open the side door. My first thought is that the garage is on fire. I blink into the high beam of a flashlight.
“Put your hands on your head and turn around.”

Should he get in more trouble? Wanna vote? Thumbs up the story turns into a happy for ever after story. Thumbs down, the MC has a bumpy road for about two hundred pages.

6 comments:

  1. Yikes - I'm usually a sap and like my HEA endings, so I guess I'll vote that way. I do like them to go through some trauma along the way though!

    Your garden is glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures. I like a hopeful to happy ending, but your MC does need to go through some changes to get there. Like the opening. I want to know why the arrest is happening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice photos!!
    As far as endings, I like bitter sweet, hopeful but not necessarily happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your path. I'm not an outliner either, and I find a "path-like thing" helps me. I also jot notes to myself in the margin of the draft as I go, when I get ideas of what comes next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is very well written. I do usually like a more happy ending, but sometimes an unhappy ending makes more sense or is more realistic. I think you really need to decide what works the best.
    I love the pictures from your break! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your votes. I'm in the bittersweet camp at the moment. Today I'm hoping to make a few decisions, but I doubt that I'll much. I'm having one of those saggy writing days.

    Bish, I changed my principal's name. I couldn't keep Polanski after your comment last week. Thanks.

    Onward.

    ReplyDelete

Please say something to me, anything. Well, not anything, but a kind word will do.