Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Book Signings, Part I
I can't believe that most of November and December is going to be all about book signings. I'm excited and somewhat terrified at the work ahead. I went though tons of notes about what to do and what not to do when making appearances, and here's what I've gleaned as the key points for a successful book signing experience. I'm calling this Part I.
First, it's a lot about pre-planning.
1) Contact the person in charge where the signing will take place at least 10 weeks in advance.
2) See what marketing you can do that will enhance the booksellers efforts. Do this about 6 weeks in advance.
3)About 5 weeks ahead be sure there aren't any problems with getting your book to the store, library or wherever.
4) Send out press releases or media kits about 4 weeks before the signing. Coordinate this with the bookseller.
5) About 1 week ahead check with the seller again re: the details. e.g. do you have enough books?
6) The week of the event, try to have some media coverage: radio spot, newspaper piece with a different twist on who you are or what your book is about.
Part II coming soon.