Monday, September 21, 2009
Have any of you had an attack of the phobias? You know those creepy ideas that slip under the door sill while you're writing that book.
I haven't had a phobia attack in a long time, but it happened today so I thought I'd share the few I enjoyed.
I encourage anyone who is experiencing or has experienced something like this to jump in with a contribution. Also if you have a counter-phobia or a spell or a potion or a good shrink don't hesitate to share.
PHOBIAS DU JOUR
1) I'm not really a writer, just a poseur with a pen and business cards.
2) Rewriting is really code for slash and burn.
3) Nobody will ever read what I write.
4) I'm writing the worst book in the history of writing.
5) Agents are sniggering about my query letters.
6) Reviewers are inviting thousands to a book burning ceremony in my honor.
7) Editor are posting my first chapters as examples of what not to do. They're "forgetting" to remove my name.
8) Librarians are avoiding me, even when I just need directions to the copy machine.
9) My publicist is sending out negative press releases.
10) My last rejection came from myself.